Okay, I started this list at 21- five for each season and one for season five (so far). I trimmed out some things that made me cry but landed on the happier end of the scale, I brushed aside some moments that felt like a fist in the gut and would surely make a top 40 list, but I just couldn’t get it down that low. I ended up with this. Every one of these moments brought the leakage to my eyes. Your mileage may vary, of course. So, in chronological order (to date), here they are:
1.Snow gives up baby Emma
2. Jiminy realizes he’s killed Gepetto’s parents and will be stuck with his own parents forever
To have them put this dastardly deed in his lap was just…crushing.
3. Graham dies.
Oh, it hurts all over again. A lot.
4. “All you have is an empty heart and a chipped cup.”
4. Dreamy turns to Grumpy after Nova breaks his heart
5. The betrayal of Mary Margaret
Her quiet and firm, “Get. Out.” was like a knife to the chest.
6. Rumple loses Bae
7. Henry’s death
8. Regina with Henry’s pillow
that meant everything. And we’re not talking about power.
9. Snow and David see Emma after the curse breaks
10.“That’s what parents do. They put their children first.”
11. Regina gets snubbed after returning from the Enchanted Forest
12. Rumple trashing the bathroom stall
going to come face-to-face with the person he loves – and hurt – the most.
13. “Is this my son?”
So beautifully played – and Henry’s heartbreak when he realizes he’s been denied a living father all these years….ahhhgh.
14. “I know your heart better than anyone.”
I know, another happy-ish one. But this was such a beautiful moment of angst and hope.
15. Mulan walks away
16. The death of Liam Jones
17. The confessions in Echo Cave
to David confessing that he’s doomed to stay in Neverland, to Hook
and his soulful confession about letting go of his love for Milah, and finally,
Emma confessing that she loved Neal – but doesn’t want him back…oh, the feels.
18. Young Rumple is abandoned by his father
19. Emma says her goodbyes
And for good measure, we’ll add in the moment in the hospital when she changes her mind, and asks to see Henry.
WHO THE HELL IS CUTTING ONIONS IN HERE I’M TRYING TO BLOG.
20. “I love you, Papa.”
21. Hook watches Emma from afar
He’d give anything to be part of her world….POW. Right in the feels.
22. Snow casts the curse
“Sometimes the best book has the dustiest jacket
and the best teacup is chipped.”
24. Rumple’s face when they name the baby “Neal.”
Poignant and beautiful moment.
25. Regina and Robin say goodbye
Emotionally eviscerated. Regina and me. And you. Ugh.
26. “Belle, please…I’m afraid.”
As much as I wanted to cheer for Belle, my heart was breaking for the both of them.
27. Maleficent and her baby rattle
28. Rumple returns Belle’s heart
And then wishes her well with Will. Wow. Just…wow.
29. Emma finally says “I love you.”
I wasn’t sure whether to scream “Yes!” at the screen or “You bastards!”
30. “I loved you.”
It’s okay, Killian. I wasn’t using that heart, anyway.
I know, I know…I could have gone on and on but I had to stop somewhere. What about you? What moments hit you in the feels the hardest?